8:30 a.m. AT TIPTON PARK – NORTH PAVILION
2201 Stone Mountain Blvd. Bloomington, IL
The statistics are staggering, but we can make a difference in the lives of orphans. Please come out for a fun, family event and help raise funds to benefit orphan care. The pavilion is next to a playground and small water park too!
This community event includes a 5K run (with chip timing), a 1 mile walk, and a kids’ fun run.
All proceeds from this year’s event will benefit the children at the GOYA/REM Orphanage in the Mitumba slum of Nairobi, Kenya.
ENTRY FEES: Entry Fees are non-refundable.
BY JUNE 11:
- Ages 13 and older: $25 (includes t-shirt)
- Ages 5 – 12: $15 (includes t-shirt)
- FAMILY Package: $60 (includes entry fees for immediate family members and 2 free t-shirts)
- Extra t-shirts can be purchased for $10 each
AFTER JUNE 11 (t-shirts not guaranteed):
- Ages 13 and older: $30
- Ages 5 – 12: $15
- FAMILY Package: $70 (includes entry fees for immediate family members and 2 free t-shirts, if available – not guaranteed)
- Extra t-shirts can be purchased for $10 each, if available
- Register Online at It’s Race Time (this option will include a nominal fee); or
- Print and complete this form – 2012 5K for Orphans Form; mail it with payment to the address below.
FAMILY REGISTRATION (two options):
- Families can register members individually as outlined above; or
- For the FAMILY Package Price – print and complete page 2 of this form – 2012 5K for Orphans Form.
- NOTE: Online registration is not available for the FAMILY Package Price. Paper registration only.
- Send all forms and checks to: Eastview Christian Church – 5K for Orphans, 1500 N. Airport Rd, Normal, IL 61761.
- Checks should be payable to Eastview Christian Church; please put 5K for Orphans Fundraiser in memo line.
EARLY PACKET PICK-UP:
- Friday, June 29 from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Eastview Christian Church, 1500 N. Airport Rd. Normal IL
- Will feature a mini-expo
- Race Day Registration and Packet Pickup:
- 7:30 a.m. – 8:15 a.m.
- 5K Run:
- Starts at 8:30 a.m.; awards for top finishers
- CHIP TIMING and results provided by It’s Race Time
- 1 Mile Walk:
- Starts at 8:35 a.m.
- Not timed – strollers welcomed.
- Kids’ Fun Run (ages 9 and under):
- Starts at approx. 9:15 a.m.; prizes for all kids
We are partnering with Soles4Souls and will be collecting gently used or new running/athletic shoes to distribute to those in need.
Please bring any shoes you would like to donate on race day!
THE 2012 CAUSE: GOYA/REM ORPHANAGE IN KENYA
Mitumba is one of the many slums in Nairobi, Kenya. It is home to 30,000 of Kenya’s poorest people. It is also home to the operations of Rural Evangelistic Ministries (REM) in Kenya and its U.S. sister organization, GOYA Ministries. Together, REM and GOYA have established a church for the people, a school for 450 children, and an orphanage for 34 children.
On November 19, 2011, the entire slum of Mitumba was bulldozed illegally by government police – 30,000 people were left homeless; the church, school and orphanage were all destroyed. Since that time, the government has acknowledged the mistake, however they have not allowed the people of Mitumba to rebuild their homes. Despite the frustrating circumstances, the ministry continues to flourish. Due to generous donations, GOYA/REM have been able to purchase land to rebuild the church, school and orphanage where they cannot be destroyed again. However, much is still needed to provide for the needs of the people there.
The proceeds of this year’s 5K for Orphans will directly benefit the orphans in Mitumba who lost their only home and all of their possessions. We will help them rebuild their orphanage and replace the few possessions they had. Thank you for any additional donations you can make to provide care for the orphans in Mitumba.
The 5K for Orphans is sponsored by the Orphan Care Ministry of Eastview Christian Church. Questions? Please contact Irene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Seek justice. Encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless.” Isaiah 1.17.